Our fiction group meets at Wit's End Coffeehouse (630 10th Street) every third Tuesday (September through May) at 2pm. The library springs for a round of treats at Wit's End; beverages are available to purchase. Out of respect for the proprietor, please do not bring in your own food or drinks. Jen's shop is a fun, casual, and comfy place to talk books. We hope you'll join us for this great discussion group.
- November 20th: Pachinko, by Min Jin Lee
- December 18th: Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult
- January 15th: When She Woke by Hillary Jordan
- February 19th: Ghost by Jason Reynolds
- March 19th: The Alice Network by Kate Quinn
- April 16th: The Lying Game by Ruth Ware
Another Round Book Group
The Marion Library is pleased to host Another Round Book Group, which meets at The Uptown Snug (760 11th St, Marion) every third Tuesday of the month at 6 p.m.
Each month, we pick a theme, and everyone chooses and reads a book that fits that theme (see this year's themes below). There is no required book to read—everyone is encouraged to pick a book—fiction or non-fiction—that fits that month’s theme. Discussion will be informal, with a chance for everyone to talk about what they’ve read, what they thought about it, and how the book fits into that month’s theme.
This is an adult book group, built on the idea that cocktails and books go together, and create a fun and lively atmosphere for book discussions. No purchase is necessary to participate, but out of respect for the proprietors, please don’t carry in beverages. Participants must be 21 or over. Please email Sue Gerth, Collection Strategies Manager, at the Marion Public Library with interest and questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monthly Themes (contact Sue or any librarian if you need help finding a book!):
- June: Historical Fiction
- July: Sci-Fi/Fantasy
- August: Read something you'd take on vacation
- September: A challenged or banned book
- October: A book that sends a chill up your spine
- November: Mixed bag: we will be reading a book based on the theme each individual picked in October
- December: Free read: read whatever you'd like!
- January 2020: Non-fiction: read about a subject you want to learn more about
- February : An African-American author or book with an African-American theme
- March: Art/Music theme: a book that features art or music in the plot (or is non-fiction about either subject)
- April: Young adult
- May: Read something outside your comfort zone
Book Club Kits
For a decade, patrons have enjoyed checking out book club kits at the Marion Library. We're celebrating by bringing them out of the back room and making them more browsable for everyone! You can now find all available book club kits on their shelves next to the Adult Biography section. Titles range from classics to contemporary reads and include adult fiction and non-fiction, young adult fiction, and graphic novels. Each kit includes seven copies of the book in a clear carrying tote. Book club kits also have an extended circulation period of five weeks so clubs have a chance to read and prepare for discussions. Browse our book club kit collection today! If you have any questions or would like a recommendation, stop by the Information Desk! We're here to help.