It's easy to get a library card!
- Apply using our online form and get a temporary library card number; you must come into the library to get your permanent card within 30 days. You are not able to access our online and downloadable services with a temporary card number.
- Stop in at the library and get one of three handy cards: pick the one best suited to your needs (click here to see types).
Who can get a Metro or Metro Lite card?
- Anyone from Marion, Cedar Rapids, or Hiawatha
- Anyone from communities who contract with the Metro Libraries (Robins, Alburnett, rural Linn County)
- Other Linn County communities with public libraries
- Other Iowa communities with public libraries that participate in Open Access
Library card applications for Metro and Metro Lite cards for children from birth through age 13 must be signed by a parent or legal guardian. Both child and guardian must be present.
If you don't have current I.D., you can get a Quick Library Card that limits you to checking out no more than three items, limits your holds to five, and limits your fines to $5. Quick Cards must be renewed after 12 checkouts.
Whichever card you apply for, you'll get your card right away and can start taking advantage of all the services we offer.