With the election right around the corner, and the Marion Public Library’s satellite voting location from October 23-25, we’ve been receiving some reference questions about voting. Here are a few frequently asked questions and resources to find more information.
- When will poll locations be open on election day, Tuesday, November 6th?
- Poll locations will be open from 7:00am-9:00pm.
- Where can I find a sample ballot and my polling place?
- How do I know if I’m registered to vote?
- Where are the satellite voting locations?
- Do I need an ID to vote? The following is from the Secretary of State of Iowa’s website: https://sos.iowa.gov/elections/voterinformation/voteridfaq.html:
- Due to the August 10, 2018 ruling of the Iowa Supreme Court, Voter ID numbers are NOT required on Absentee Ballot Request Forms, which are used in Satellite Voting.
- During calendar year 2018 voters will be asked to show their ID before voting at the polls. Anyone who does not have the necessary ID will be asked to sign an oath verifying their identity, and will be allowed to cast a regular ballot.
- Beginning January 1, 2019, Iowa voters will be required to show a driver’s license, non-driver’s ID, passport, military ID, veterans ID, tribal ID or Voter ID Card at the polls before they vote. Voters without the necessary ID will be offered a provisional ballot and can provide ID up until the time of the county canvass of votes (Monday after election day for Primary and General Elections).
- How do I register to vote?
- You can register anytime, including on the day of the election at your polling place.
- Information on registering on Election Day: https://sos.iowa.gov/elections/voterinformation/edr.html
- Information on registering before Election Day online or on paper: https://sos.iowa.gov/elections/voterinformation/voterregistration.html
- Can I vote early?
- Information on voting early at the county Auditor’s Office: https://sos.iowa.gov/elections/electioninfo/absenteeinperson.html
Still have questions?
Visit the Secretary of State of Iowa’s website: https://sos.iowa.gov/elections/voterinformation/generalelection2018.html
Visit The Linn County Auditor’s website: http://linncounty.org/157/Election-Services